Saturday, August 27, 2011

Berkeley Square


Today I have another time-traveling post. When I visited London in 2000, I made a special effort to visit Berkeley Square in Mayfair, where the nightingale famously sang.

Above is my photo from that visit. It was March, so the purple hyacinth bulbs were blooming and the trees weren't yet in full leaf.

Today, Dave and I walked back to Berkeley Square to see how much it had changed in the past 11 years:


As you can see, it's just about the same! The only differences I see are that one tree (far right) has been removed, along with two of the phone booths. Looks like a few new benches were installed, too. Good ol' Berkeley Square, a constant in a changing world!

Unfortunately, I didn't see a nightingale on either visit. I did see some crows today, though. Does that count?

No comments: