Monday, October 22, 2012

Kew Gardens (Again)


Dave and I went to Kew Gardens yesterday to see the autumn leaves. I went there last year in early October, and it was just a little too early to catch the colors (such as they are) at their peak. I think we gauged it about right this year. As you can see, they're not quite like the spectacular displays of the northeastern United States, but still nice.


We began our outing with lunch at a vegetarian-ish restaurant near the gardens called The Kew Greenhouse, where I had a pie filled with root vegetables and beans and assorted side salads. Just the kind of rabbit food I like. Dave was glad to see a few meat items on the menu, and he wound up with chicken and leek pie.


Once we entered the gardens we were surprised to see the crocuses (crocus? croci?) out, just as they were in Gunnersbury Park when I went there a couple of weeks ago. These crocuses were huge, like some kind of irradiated science project.


I really wanted to try the treetop walkway, which involves climbing a staircase and walking a narrow metal platform (with railings) that winds through the treetops. I thought that might be an especially nice place to see leaves. As it turns out, most of them in that area were just sort of colorful, but we had a great view of the greenhouse.


We also saw some interesting birds -- a roosting peacock preening his feathers, flocks of chattering feral parakeets, and an astonishingly colorful wood duck.

The weather wasn't the greatest -- it was chilly, raw and gray for the first half of the day and got misty and rainy by late afternoon. All the more reason to retreat to the cafe for coffee and a slice of chocolate cake!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You and Dave seem to have such a relaxing, lovely time together -- I really appreciate how you take us on your walks and show us what you see --

Ms. Moon said...

Now THAT is a greenhouse!

Reya Mellicker said...

It's one of my very favorite locations in London - well, just outside of London. There used to be a little shop, World Tree Mend Us, in the little village by the tube stop. That's where I bought my big rune inscribed tourmaline necklace.

The last time I was in London we went but the shop was in bad shape - all the crystals were dusty and it looked like no one cared any longer. The shop owner had moved to the Isle of Whyte, they told us. What a shame!

ALLNIGHTMUSICMAN said...

YES - WORLD TREE MEND US SEEMS TO HAVE VANISHED INTO THIN AIR, I WENT THERE A FEW WEEKS BACK TO BUY A BIRTHSTONE FOR MY SON AND NO ONE KNOW'S WHERE THEY WENT. THAT FABULOUS DUSTY EMPORIUM IS NOW PART OF A BANK. IT'S LIKE I IMAGINED IT WAS EVER REALLY THERE - NOT A TRACE OF IT ON THE NET EITHER. IT WAS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF A DICKENS BOOK.
ALLNIGHTMUSICMAN