Thursday, October 25, 2012

Uncle Wrinkle, and Others


I went down to New Cross and Deptford yesterday on a quick photography outing. When I was down that way a couple of weeks ago, I photographed this priceless storefront, but I didn't really like the light. So I went back on a cloudy day -- and unfortunately this time the gate was completely closed. You just can't have everything!

Which photo do you prefer? (Click the link above to see the earlier one.)


I would love to know how people come up with names for their businesses. I suppose Kungfu makes some sense, culturally speaking. According to Wikipedia, it's "a Chinese term referring to any study, learning or practice that requires patience, energy or time to complete." So, Grasshopper, it's not just a '70s TV show or a martial art practiced by cartoon pandas.


Oddy Fashion I'm not sure about. Maybe it's the proprietor's name? It seemed to sell primarily African cloth.


Hairdome makes me think of Callista Gingrich.


The Egg Shop. That's pretty straightforward, isn't it? And so decisive that it needs a period.


I love the green-on-green action at the Star Jerk Hut!

I just can't get enough of these little mom-and-pop shops. Surprisingly, chain stores don't predominate in many parts of London -- not yet, anyway. On this entire route I saw nary a McDonald's, KFC or Subway.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You need to put together a book of these!

Ms. Moon said...

I agree with Elizabeth. This is such a rich cultural thing I never imagined in London. So...culturally unfiltered in a way.

Lynne said...

You made me laugh with your sense of humor! (especially Hairdome!)

I prefer this pic to the other one. I think the fact that the gate is down really works.

LOVE the green Star Jerk Hut!

Isn't it refreshing to see those mom and pop places instead of all those chains!

The Bug said...

These are so much fun. And I'm definitely taking the advice of the Star Jerk Hut - I love to eat :)