Sunday, March 31, 2013

Death and Taxes


This was the scene on Latimer Road when I walked Olga yesterday morning. It was another to-do-list kind of day. I got some pants altered and deposited a check -- a check I earned by actually selling a photo! Yes, someone paid me for this picture, for use on a postcard promoting this event. It wasn't much but I was happy to get it! My first commercial photography sale.


I spent much of the morning reading my Richard Brautigan biography, in the shadows of the avocado plant and geraniums on our living room windowsill. This chapter is about Brautigan's attendance at the legendary Rolling Stones concert in December 1969 at Altamont, where the Hell's Angels security staff stabbed to death a gun-wielding audience member.


Speaking of vibe-killing, I did my income taxes the other day. I still file my taxes in the states, though withholding for British taxes is taken from my income here. International taxes are a nightmare, even for one who makes as little as I do (and believe me, it's very little). I hope I did them correctly. I'm going to have to follow up and do some research to make sure.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I am going to HAVE to read that book. MUCH congratulation on the photo you sold. Truly that is a very good thing.

Lynne said...

Congrats on the photo!

Love this photo! I wonder what kind of shop it is/was?

The Bug said...

Woo hoo! Way to go on the sale!

I need to finish my taxes - but we already know we owe so I'm in no hurry. Although, come to think of it, the 15th will be along here directly!