Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pub Refurb


There's a big refurbishment going on at a pub I pass on my way to work each day. This is how it looked last week, when the colorful tiles caught my eye.


The entire building used to be painted black. Then workers began stripping the old paint, including an underlying blue layer, to reveal the red tiles underneath.


This is how it looks now. I'm not sure why that section on the left, under the window, was repainted gray -- maybe the tiles in that spot were too damaged to be exposed. All in all, though, I think it's an improvement! We've never gone to this pub, but perhaps a visit is called for.

In other news, that teacher I wrote about yesterday stunned me by returning his overdue books. Triumph! One of them is a really terrific photography book that I promptly checked out myself, and then lugged home, which proved to be a challenge because it weighs about 35 pounds. Walking was out of the question -- I had to take the tube!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So cool. Tell us what one orders in a traditional pub --

Ms. Moon said...

Elizabeth asked a good question. Does one always order a pint? And what do you get a pint of?
That red tile looks fantastic!

Sharon said...

I love the look of that pub!

Lynne said...

It looks fabulous after its face lift. Do go and let us know how it is!!

Steve Reed said...

Definitely a pint, preferably an ale, although you could get a lager or a cider. Foodwise, we often opt for bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potatoes), but there are always burgers and fish & chips. More and more pubs are getting fancier and fancier with their food options, and there's almost always one or two vegetarian choices.