Thursday, May 10, 2007

Staten Island, May 2007


These benches, covered by a geometric awning, are in front of the ferry terminal on Staten Island.

I think my biological clock or my circadian rhythms or whatever are changing. For years, I've gone to bed at 10 p.m. and gotten up at 6 a.m. And when I say years, I mean two decades. A long time.

But just within the last year or so, I've been staying up later and getting up earlier. Last night, for example, I was up until 11:30 and this morning I got up about 5:30, which is not really what I would call a full night's sleep. That seems to be more my rhythm these days, though.

I know as we get older we need less sleep, but it's a little disconcerting. I picture my little cells, rebuilding and replenishing themselves, and wonder whether they're doing it less. What functions is my body giving up to allow these later hours?

Also, I do get tired during the day, particularly after lunch. I think I am suffering a bit of deprivation.

It may just be a matter of getting myself to bed, and not letting daily distractions trump my need for sleep. I have to just lie down and turn out the lights. As they say in the Nike commercials, Just Do It!

No comments: