Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunshine On My Shoulders


We had a beautiful day yesterday -- cool but not uncomfortable temperatures, a cloudless sky. In the afternoon I made a quick trip down to Central London for a photography walk. I feel like it's been so long since I've been able to play around with light and shadow.

Sunlight changes everything. Entirely new cityscapes appear.


I hacked my way through about 50 more pages of "The Golden Notebook." I am going to stop complaining about this book, I really am. I'm going to shut up and read it. I looked up more reader reviews on Amazon and so many people purport to find significance and meaning in this bone-dry tome that I am just going to make myself plunge ahead.

Maybe it gets better at the end. Which, at this point, is still 450 pages away.

Yesterday during my wanders I passed a sidewalk used-book sale, where I picked up volumes by Nadine Gordimer and H.E. Bates for £1.30 -- practically free, really.

If yesterday was my day of relaxation, today is the day for buckling down. I have to do my substitute reports for the week and I need to update my resume. I am going to apply for that position, even if in the end I decide not to take it. There's no reason not to talk about it. Right?

(Photos: Top, a street in Fitzrovia. Bottom, a self-portrait near Euston station.)

8 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Sometimes I "read" books by listening to the audio version that I probably would not finish by reading with my eyes. I don't know why that is but it's true.

Reya Mellicker said...

Alien eyes! Yay.

Beautiful pictures.

I admire your tenacity. If you find anything in that book that's meaningful, I can't wait to hear about it. Her writing - to me - is like the Emperor's New Clothes. You're supposed to find meaning there, but frankly I find far more meaning gazing at your photos. Far more.

Lynne said...

Hah! Reya saw alien eyes and I had to go back and look at the photo again because all I saw was chimney pot (?) shadows in the first pic. I had to study the second pic but I think I finally figured out that the door was open in that building, therefore your shadow inside? or maybe not ...

Lynne said...

Oh, and yes! Sunshine makes all the difference! Glad you are getting some--we are too although it's chilly sunshine. Hey, I'll take it anyway I can get it.

Peter Bryenton said...

Good light and shade.

As for those reviews, Emperor's Clothes possibly?

Peter Bryenton said...

Reya beat me to it I just saw.

Elizabeth said...

I'm lingering over the fabulous "bone-dry tome."

Nancy said...

It seems you're feeling the same way about The Golden Notebook that I am about The Paris Wife. I, too, have determined to stick it out. I'm nearing the end and still have no feelings one way or the other for any of the characters.