Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Thank God That's Over


I finished "The Golden Notebook" yesterday. I feel like a ten-million-pound weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I understand why it's an important book, especially for its era -- the anger that I mentioned in yesterday's post was probably illuminating to people who were clueless that smart women could be so frustrated with their lot in society. (And that they could be such multi-dimensional, political and sexual beings.)

But you know what? Doris Lessing needed an editor. Really. That thing was just painful to read.

I had a crazy busy day yesterday, but it was great. I got a lot of work done, took the dog for a couple of long walks, and finished lots of little errands. Now I feel like I'm on top of things. I'm going to try to get out today and take some photos of the amazing blooming trees in the neighborhood -- there's so much color out there, every leaf and flower seems saturated. Ah, Spring!

(Photo: Tottenham Court Road, London, last week.)

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's always a relief to be finished with a less than satisfying book -- not to mention the sort of smug pride one can have upon completion! I never could finish that Lessing book, so my hats off to you!

Lynne said...

Love the photo with contrasting colors and one person in the light and one in the shade. Nice!

Have fun photographing spring's beauty. It seems like that's all I've been doing because it's difficult not to. Spring is such a pretty time of year ...

Ms. Moon said...

Not the most positive book review I've ever heard. "Thank God that's over!"
Haha!
Yeah. I'll be rushing out to buy that one.

ellen abbott said...

I don't think I'll be reading that one. glad to hear that spring has finally made it to you.

Peter Bryenton said...

Really like this photograph for the simple, effective colour and the two figues, foreground person silhouetted, background walker in place.

Linda Sue said...

I so admire your stick-to-it- ness, I do not have that quality so when i see it in others I am most impressed. Olga must be the happiest girl in the kingdom- her people are back and doing as she commands. Loved your trip photos, thanks for dragging us along! I fed your fish... a lot...Do you see that they are more plump?

Anonymous said...

Cool photo! Yep, I'm one of those who sticks to a book even when it's bad. I feel like I've made an investment and absolutely need to follow through with my commitment. BUT, in this case, I just may have had to send that one to the dumpster. Isn't it wonderful when you are reading something that you hope would not end...that was Anna Karenina for me.