Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Busy Morning


Our weather has changed for the better the last couple of days. Yesterday was so pleasant we took Olga to the park with her egg toy. She has figured out how to carry it around by the narrow end, which looks hilarious -- like she's burping up a big yellow balloon. As usual she attracted lots of attention from adoring passersby, including a trio of Japanese women who stopped to take her picture. "She's smiling!" they exclaimed. (She does sometimes look very smiley.)

This morning is job interview number two -- and of course I had four calls from teachers looking for subs today as well. When it rains, it pours!

I've been meaning to post this for some time. It's a link to a rare color film of London made in 1927 and recently restored by the British Film Institute. It's fascinating. The city itself is much less built-up, much less vertical than it is now, though many landmarks look almost exactly the same. Women are shown visiting the flower-encircled Cenotaph, London's monument to its war dead -- this was just ten years after World War I. There's something incredibly poignant about watching all the people just going about their lives, feeding birds in the park and walking the city streets, knowing that today they are surely almost all gone. Gather ye rosebuds!

(Photo: Morning on Turquoise Island, Westbourne Grove.)

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

It is so lovely that you have come to appreciate and enjoy your adopted home so much. I would be interested in hearing why you decided to move there. Is Dave British?

37paddington said...

good luck! the color of that wall is the exact color of swimming pool water.

Peter Bryenton said...

Super photograph. Hockmey colour.

Peter Bryenton said...

Hockney

e said...

Great color...how was the second interview?

The Bug said...

Whew! I can't believe it's been 11 days since I read your blog - but I just read 11 posts so it must have been :) And now I feel bad because I'm not commenting on all those posts.

I will say this - most excellent selfies! I don't have the patience to try as hard as I should to get a good self-portrait (although, as you know, I post one every week - ha!).

Hope your second interview went well!