Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Night on Portobello Road


I didn't leave the house at all yesterday. I didn't even open the front door. I had work, work, work.

I can already see the downside to working at home -- it's harder to turn your brain off. After all, your computer is always sitting there, just beckoning you to check e-mail or otherwise engage with the world of making a living. "Something important might have happened within the last five minutes!" it says, calling, calling.


This new job is like a big jigsaw puzzle. I have to fit lots of pieces together -- lots of schedules, lots of communication. I lie awake at night sometimes thinking, "If I have this person work these classes and this other person work these classes..." (I'm scheduling substitute teachers, remember?)


Yesterday I also managed to do laundry, and vacuum the house, and read a few pages of "Treasure Island" on my lunch break. (Leftover chicken hacked into chicken salad, with a handful of our home-grown tomatoes!) But still: Work, work, work.


Maybe I'm just out of the rhythm of working. That could be why a busy day feels so draining.

At any rate, I think today won't be as crazy. Hopefully I'll be able to go for a run and maybe get over to Trellick Tower to shoot some graffiti pictures.


I hasten to add that I am not complaining. Having work, even when it keeps your mind racing as you lie in bed at night, is better than having no work at all!

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

These pictures are glorious! Love the one with the shadows on the plywood. Actually, I just love them all. Night pictures. Fantastic!

ellen abbott said...

I know what you mean. Having work is much better than not.

The Bug said...

I love the pictures too - especially that first one (for some reason it makes me think of the movie Notting Hill - ha!).

I would be the same as you - always intermittently working throughout the day. I guess if it becomes a problem you can make yourself adhere to a schedule - but that kind of defeats the purpose of working from home :)

Kevin Wood said...

Me, too! Fabulous shots, Steve.

Ms.M said...

Steve, what a fabulous post to come back in on. Ok, I am all kinds of tired from work. But trust me when I say that I miss your beautiful pictures and think of all the fab posts I am missing.

I will have to get back in the routine of opening your blog up first thing when I get to work. :)

The images are breathtaking.

M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan

Mark Atkinson said...

These remind me of Todd Hido's work. Any chance you'd consider selling a print?