Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Mystery in the Washing Machine


Dave and I took pictures during yesterday's tie-dyeing extravaganza, but I'm holding them back until my shirts come out of the wash. I want to be able to show you the finished product. I'm a little concerned that they're going to be a solid muddy brown, but we'll see.

The dyeing itself was fun, helped along with some hors d'oeuvres and a bottle of prosecco provided by a coworker. I'll describe the process, such that it is, when I show you the photos.

My problem is, the dye kit we used specified that after letting the dyed fabric sit for six to eight hours, we should hand-rinse it and then wash it in the hottest possible water with the washing machine set to a high water level. Well, our washing machine -- being one of these fancy European ecologically-minded models -- never gets very full. It sloshes the laundry around in a minimal amount of water, and already that water is bright blue.

I'm telling you, this shirt is going to be monochromatic. Stay tuned.

I took Olga for a long romp in Hampstead Heath in the morning. We were out for a couple of hours and she got exhausted. I love to see a tired dog. It gives me a sense of satisfaction, like I've done my job as a dog owner.

By the way, we didn't tie-dye her. I seriously considered making the white tip of her tail bright pink, but I was afraid the dye would be poisonous if she licked at it -- which she surely would.

(Photo: Greencroft Gardens, a street near our flat, on Aug. 16.)

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Oh! How I love a blue door!
I think Olga would have looked very punk with a bright pink tail-tip!

Linda Sue said...

The steps in your photo are so well worn, I FEEL them. Olga is grateful I am sure for both the long walk and the not pink tail.

Elizabeth said...

That little house sure is inviting --