Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Rainy Day


It rained steadily yesterday morning for several hours. Olga wouldn't go outside. I stayed on the couch, reading. It was fabulous.


The clothesline became a diamond necklace.


A few waterlogged pigeons sat patiently near the bird feeder, where they know breakfast appears every morning. They looked so forlorn I couldn't disappoint them, so I grabbed an umbrella and took them their meal as usual.

I'm reading a novel called "The Mandibles," about a family during a future financial collapse in the United States. We're talking a big financial collapse -- bigger than we've seen so far -- when only sad-looking cabbages are available in the grocery store and generations are forced to move in together. It's great so far, though a bit heavy in the lingo of banking and currency exchange.

(For years my mom has joked, in her apocalyptic way, that she, my brother and I and our families were all going to wind up living together. Now that she's sold our family home I'm not sure how that would work! We might all be in a tent somewhere.)

The hot coal behind my eye has cooled to a glowing ember. This is progress.

10 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Lionel Shriver is a brilliant writer. I heard her talking about that book on Radio 4. One day I might get round to it myself.

John Going Gently said...

Photo number two is lovely
Are you going to enter the Trelawnyd flower show photo class this year?

See
http://trelawnydflowershow.blogspot.co.uk

The class subjects are
Still life

A bridge

Sabine said...

Such great photos. Just stole your clothesline for my desktop image today.

Ms. Moon said...

Fantastic pictures!
Well, if my whole family has to move in with me, at least there's plenty of room.
(Please god, no.)

Sharon said...

You are such a dedicated lover of nature! I admire that. It might have been a rainy day, but you managed to take some beautiful shots to share with us.

jenny_o said...

That's actually the first time I've ever seen a waterlogged bird! Poor thing. I'm glad you fed them as usual.

By chance I picked up Lionel Shriver's "We Need to Talk About Kevin" many years ago at a bookstore discount sale. It was one of the best books I've ever read, not in an uplifting way exactly, but it was completely gripping and realistic and readable. Thanks for mentioning this new one, and thanks to YP for identifying the author.

Glad you're on the mend.

Red said...

That story sounds very dark. I'm sure there are a few stories on climate change that are extremely dark. Now that poor pigeon needs more than breakfast.

Cheryl West said...

From what I heard on NPR this morning your novel could be about present day Venezuela, very grim indeed about failed economy and terrible food shortages.
I'm sure the poor sodden pigeon was greatfull for the breakfast offering.

Elizabeth said...

Wow. Such cool photos. I think I'd rather go out in a poof of smoke than land up in a house with my entire extended family. I'm not one of those people who'd do anything to survive -- I think.

Alphie Soup said...

It rained all day yesterday south of the equator too. I didn't sit on the couch and read, for reasons which will not be disclosed here...

I listened recently to a review about the book you are reading and it was highly recommended.

Alphie