Sunday, August 30, 2020

Landscape With Yellow Wall


Olga and I discovered a new park yesterday -- or, more accurately, an "open space." It's a wide grassy path that runs between some houses near the Clitterhouse Playing Fields and an industrial area near Brent Cross. Called the Claremont Open Space, it is separated from all the industry by a bright yellow plywood wall. The path runs to adjacent Clarefield Park.



I wouldn't call it beautiful, but it was visually interesting. There were a few squirrels to keep the dog busy, and I found some abandoned shopping carts from Tesco, which I reported to them when I got home. (You know how obsessive I am about returning shopping carts.)

I threw Olga's Kong for her on the playing fields and we also walked through Basing Hill and Childs Hill parks.

The only reason we went up to that neck of the woods in the first place was related to work -- someone left a book from the Barnet borough libraries in our school book drop, and I tried to return it at the Childs Hill branch library. (That's the closest Barnet library to where we live, in the adjacent borough of Camden.) When I researched the library online, I couldn't quite tell if they had an external book drop (I knew they wouldn't be open), but on Google Street View I saw a white box next to the door that looked promising.

Turns out:



Oh well. What library doesn't have a book drop? Is that just an American thing?

I had to carry that stupid book for our whole walk. Maybe I should just mail it back to them. (Actually I might be able to return it to our local West Hampstead library. I bet they could get it back to Barnet.)



Olga and I also passed this peculiar house decorated with giant animal statues -- a polar bear guarding the door, a cow peeking out from the hedge. A regular menagerie!

16 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Since you visited the newly discovered green open space some sprayed graffiti has sadly appeared on the yellow wall: "REEDSY AND OLGS WOZ ERE!". Did you happen to spot any pimple-faced youths acting suspiciously?

Ursula said...

I used to paint the Angel's (that's my son) bedroom a warm yellow. Waking up to the sun. Which reminds me, never paint your bedroom blue. It makes your love interest (and you) look quite peaky. Yes, the joys of shadow and light.

Library books can prove to be a burden. To my shame I forgot (two years running) to return two library books (both cookery - so I hoped no one would notice). Luckily, they cap the fine for late returns at £14.00. Before I had a chance to redeem myself, lock down kicked in which, even with my best will, meant I couldn't return anything, though the Council's most generous website graciously allowed me to pay the fine online - no touch involved. Whether they operate those return "bins" again I do not know. Will need to pile on the charm and all my powers of persuasion for some stern librarian-in-charge to let me ever set foot into their empire again. Which reminds me: Why do librarians, on the whole, tend to come across as prim and proper? Twin set and pearls.

U

Anonymous said...

I am surprised the ghastly yellow wall hasn't been graffitied, and it might look better if it was.
I would have thought all libraries would have drop boxes. Make it easy for people to return whatever they have borrowed.
The animal statues are weird but a bit interesting.

gz said...

A stunning colour in the landscape!
Possibly book drop boxes have been abused. Anyway any library can return a book to another...as they can request a book from any other library as well.

Marty said...

The cow skulking In the bushes is my favorite. Wonder what the people in the house are like.

Moving with Mitchell said...

That yellow wall creates art of the surrounding environment. And, oh that house. I couldn't do that at my own place but I'd have a ball doing it at someone else's. Our garden center has some great statuary for that house. I think the owner(s) would have a good time. Zebras, hippos, horses, unicorns, camels. It makes me smile just imagining it.

Ms. Moon said...

What whimsical yard and house art! I love it! Like Mary, I wonder what the people who live there are like. I would imagine people who do not take things too seriously. A library with no book drop? What? Why?

Anonymous said...

Nice new walk there. Absolutely love that house art. Lately I've been thinking about photoshopping some big animals into photos of our yard, a koala in the pine tree, an elephant in the zucchini patch, a giraffe among the dahlias. Your photos make me want big real art in the real yard!

Red said...

Some organizations are not very user friendly.

Linda Sue said...

THAT yard!! hahaha Sarah took me to a similar place , but not quite as whimsical. it was a gangsters house. I absolutely LOVE the bright yellow wall. How bold! It is not a good color for those with macular degeneration i found out while visiting an installment at the Tate, called "venom", I came out of there unable to see, it took about an hour to get my vision back. It was done all in acid bright yellow, ouch!

Sharon said...

Olga looks like she's admiring that yellow wall but she's most likely looking for movement around that tree.
I have a similar aversion to those shopping carts. I live 1 block from a Safeway supermarket. The shopping carts from there always show up at my complex in various locations. It bugs me to see them sitting around the place. Safeway sends a guy with a truck to collect them about once a month.
That house you found is hilarious. That is quite a collection of animals.

Edna B said...

I love all the huge animals guarding that house. How unusual. And different. That yellow fence really is eye catching. Good luck getting that book back to its own library. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

The Bug said...

I LOVE THAT YELLOW WALL! Sorry I shouted. It made me grin. And I also love the house with all the critters. Fun!

Catalyst said...

I agree with The Bug abou that yellow wall. And the house with the critters. I just had a haircut yesterday from SWMBO so I can no longer blame the resemblance to her for having the same likes.

crafty cat corner said...

I love the cow poking through the bushes, I'd like that if I had any bushes.
Briony
x

Michael said...

For some reason, I really like that yellow wall. I always enjoy "going on walks with you" Always a neat photo to see.