Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Golden Reminder


It's been exactly six months since Dave and I said goodbye to our old and ailing boxers, Ruby and Ernie. I still miss them every day. I miss goofy Ernie snoring and taking up half the bed, and I miss Ruby doing her "Milk Bone dance" after her walk, when she knew a treat would be forthcoming.

Dave and I are still pondering getting another dog. As I've mentioned, though, we want to wait until we've lived in London a bit longer. That way, we can travel and explore without worrying about dog care, and perhaps wait until we live in more dog-friendly accommodations. (A back garden would be nice!)

On Thursday evening, I found this incredible spray of golden light across our bedroom wall, and across the framed photos of Ernie and Ruby that hang there. That's when it occurred to me we were then days away from the six-month mark. I don't really believe in communications from beyond, or anything like that -- but it was a nice reminder, and I'll concede that the universe works in mysterious ways!

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Some people say there are NO accidents! When I see "signs," I blame it on my Italian peasant ancestry -- that's a beautiful sign, I think.

Lynne said...

I agree with Elizabeth! :)

This is lovely, beautiful light Steve! A sign indeed.

Gary said...

There is a nice freedom that comes with not having a dog so enjoy it before you commit again. You'll know when it's time. I am totally obsessed with my dog Cal but am grateful for the 10 months we had between him and Nelly.

When I see shadows and light playing in interesting ways I always think of you - so you pop into my mind quite a bit.

Lorianne said...

Lovely on all levels. I hope Ruby and Ernie know we're remembering them, wherever they are.

37paddington said...

That's a beautiful moment that allowed you to capture a beautiful photograph to mark a cherished memory. I agree, no coincidences.

The Bug said...

Gorgeous photo - and I like that it made you think of your pups :)

Linda Sue said...

Doesn't really matter what we 'believe" or dis believe- signs are signs and the pups are remembering you in such a lovely tone of golden light. Love is love.
Having a dog IS demanding- they are such emotional beings.

Ms.M said...

What a beautiful reminder and what precious memories. I'm glad i became a reader when they were still around because it make me feel like I could appreciate this post in a different way. Almost like I kind of knew them too. :)

M