Monday, July 2, 2012

Cults and Invasions


OK, enough about death and loss. Sorry for the double-whammy, there.

However, I do have to mention that I've been reading about the wild heat-driven storms in Washington, D.C., the skyrocketing temperatures in Atlanta and the raging fires in Colorado. Unbelievable! Sometimes it seems the world really has gone crazy. I hope all my D.C.-area pals came through safely. I've spent a lot of time in the Washington area over many years, and endured a few heat waves, but I don't think I've ever seen such furious, bizarre weather in that region.

We, on the other hand, are in for a rainy, cool week. So far, our rain forecasts haven't meant steady rain -- they've meant bursts of rain interspersed with sunshine. So I've been able to get out, take pictures, go running, stuff like that. Here's hoping we maintain that nice balance.

Dave and I went to an outdoor cafe for breakfast yesterday morning, and I actually got cold sitting out in my shorts and t-shirt. It is JULY, people! Our neighbor teased me when he saw us -- he said he'd heard that people from Florida never wear long pants, and I was evidence of that. Which I suppose I am.

Yesterday we rented "Martha Marcy May Marlene," a movie about a troubled girl who escapes a cult. Creepy, but very good. That followed the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," which I thought Dave really needed to see -- always a crowd pleaser, as allegories about Communism go.

Dave and I had some friends over last night -- a pair of fellow music teachers, one of whom is visiting from Madrid. Dave cooked up a chef-worthy feast of scallops with parsnip puree and orange gelee, haddock with red wild rice and samphire, and rhubarb crumble. It really was terrific. We wound up watching Drum Corps International competition videos on YouTube. Band nerds!

(Photo: An electrical shop on Westbourne Grove, with rentable "Boris Bikes" out front.)

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Samphire??? I have no clue what that is.

The Bug said...

We had a bit of rain & it actually cooled down enough to have a fire in our new fire pit & roast marshmallows. I was actually cold in my shorts!

Steve Reed said...

Lynne: Samphire is a marsh or seaside plant with a briny taste, often served with seafood. In the states we used to get it at Whole Foods, marketed as sea beans. For some reason, here in the UK, it's called samphire.