Saturday, July 21, 2012

Smoky Kangaroo Tea


As I've mentioned, Dave's parents are visiting us now. They'll be here until next Saturday, when they leave for a Mediterranean cruise to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. Then, when they return in August, they'll stay with us another four days before returning to the states.

What this means for us, of course, is another round of sightseeing and tour-guiding. We went down to Greenwich and up in the London Eye, and I'll spare you more about that since I've written so much about both places already. I couldn't resist showing you these photos from the Eye, though -- the sunset shot above includes the distant looping arch of Wembley Stadium to the left. Remember when I walked there back in May?


I was amused by this woman, who paid £19 to ride the Eye but devoted her attention to her cell phone.

Yesterday we went to tea at one of the swanky hotels in Mayfair. I chose a smoked tea called Lapsang Kangaroo, or something like that, and it was terrific and really unusual. We had champagne, crustless sandwiches, scones, clotted cream and an assortment of cakes -- and by the end of it all I was ironically so thirsty! I think my body wanted to dilute all the sugar I'd consumed. I came home and drank about four big glasses of water.

Tea still isn't really my thing. I'd much rather have a cup of coffee and a peanut butter sandwich, complete with unsightly crusts.

Speaking of anniversaries, I just have to point out that today is the second anniversary of my Civil Union with the terrific and ever-patient Dave, who has changed my life in so many unexpected and amazing ways! Love you, HB!

8 comments:

Dave said...

I love you too!

Reya Mellicker said...

Happy anniversary! And many more!

Did you see the cover of this week's New Yorker? Family of four, beautiful beach scene. They are all on their iphones. Ha!!

Lynne said...

What a moody sunset!

I agree completely about tea. I don't get it. All those little sandwiches that are mostly bread and all those sweet treats. Not for me!

Put the phones down folks and enjoy something else besides the screen of your phone! Sheesh.

Happy, Happy Anniversary to you both!

Lorianne said...

Happy anniversary to you both!

Please tell me that clotted cream tastes better than the name makes it sound.

Steve Reed said...

Reya: I don't have my New Yorker yet, but that sounds SO appropriate.

Lynne: Yeah, tea is a little on the fussy side for me.

Lorianne: Clotted cream is basically cream that's almost butter. It's not my favorite thing.

Linda Sue said...

Sweet Anniversary to you both! Loving your shot of the woman in the bubble! We have a lot of british influence up here so clotted cream and tea with tiny crustless sandwiches is common- and I must say not very satisfying if one- is- a -bit -more- than -peckish!
You are pro sight see-ers- your shots are fabulous, I hope that they become books!

37paddington said...

Happy anniversary! I love coming here. I feel as if I am in London!

The Bug said...

Happy anniversary you lovebirds you :)