Monday, August 13, 2012

Short Items


Yes, we had more tomatoes. I just can't help posting a photo. I'm like a proud parent! These were a mix of the tigrella striped variety, black cherries, and red alicante. We simply cut them up and ate them with an olive oil vinaigrette. Some of them seemed a bit thick-skinned -- probably those really tiny ones -- but they tasted great!


When Dave and I were in Tesco last week, we came across Bassett's Jelly Mascots -- on sale! I never buy candy, but I couldn't resist this bizarre bit of Olympic paraphernalia, featuring mascots Wenlock and Mandeville. I've been eating them as enthusiastically as a six-year-old.

(By they way, did you watch any of the closing ceremonies last night? I was surprised at the use of John Lennon's song "Imagine," which praises a world without religion, and George Michael's "Freedom," which is about coming out of the closet. I mean, I love both songs, but would such potentially controversial material have made it onto the stage in an American production? I doubt it. Europe just isn't as obsessed about the petty politics of "family values.")


I picked up this sad onion pot in a vintage store near Notting Hill Gate, after watching it sit in the store window for a week. I'm not sure how old it is, or why we need a special pot for onions, but I think it's pretty clever. Dave fruitlessly tried to discourage the purchase, but claims he likes it nonetheless. I'm not sure he's telling me the truth.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The Lennon song always makes me cry. I think it's perfect -- words, the simple melody, his sweet voice.

That onion pot is divine. And I ALWAYS have a bit of onion left when I don't use the whole one, and I hate putting it in the fridge or leaving it out, so that's perfect! Tell Dave that if he really hates it, I'll take it!

Ms. Moon said...

I didn't see the ceremonies but I'm glad to hear that Imagine was played. It is the universal human hymn to me. For me.
Your tomatoes are definitely post-worthy. What jewels!
That onion pot is a charmer.

Lynne said...

I love all the different colors of the tomatoes. Do they taste different from one another?

Love the onion pot!

The Bug said...

I think that tomatoes are lovely - we'll be posting a picture of ours next week (actually, ours aren't very pretty, but YUM).

I enjoyed Imagine and Freedom - I used to sing Freedom at the top of my lungs back in the day. I'm pretty sure that I didn't know what it meant back then - ha! I might have sung it louder had I known :)

ellen abbott said...

I've noticed my homegrown tomatoes are thicker skinned too.

nope. didn't watch the closing ceremony, not the opening or any of the events. just not into the Olympics.

Jenny Woolf said...

I read that some of NBC's coverage in America omitted parts of the show and recapped the volleyball which seems to be most of what they have been showing throughout the olympics.

Right! I'll get some of those jelly mascots too!

Linda Sue said...

Do NOT come back to the states...EVER. Such a sad sick country right now. The Republican party is everything crazy. Favorite targets- women, gays, and anyone with skin a darker shade of A fishes under belly...oh, and of course, the poor.
Missed the closing ceremony but caught bits on my computer. Quirky and awesome, just like England. Love it.